However, no such import business registration is necessary for persons importing goods from Nepal or Myamar through Indo-Myanmar border or from china, through Gunji, Namgaya, shipkila or Nathula ports provided that the Value of a single Consignment does not exceed Rs. 25000/-.
Application for IEC Number:
An application for grant of IEC Code Number should be made in the prescribed Performa given at Appendix 3.I. The application duly signed by the applicant should be supported by the following documents:
- Bank Receipt (in duplicate) / Indian demand draft for payment of the fee of Rs.1000/- Certificate from the Banker of the applicant firm as per Annexure 1 to the form.
- Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the banker of the applicant.
- A copy of Permanent Account Number issued by Income Tax Authorities, if PAN has not been allotted, a copy of the letter of legal authority may be furnished.
- Declaration by the applicant that the proprietors/partners/directors of the applicant firm/company, as the case may be, are not associated as proprietor/partners/directors with any other firm/company the IEC No. is allotted with a condition that be can export only with the prior approval of the RBI India.
Process of Online Application
On-line form has been designed to ensure feeding of all the required information by prompting user wherever a field is left blank. Application has to submit scanned copies of PAN (Permanent Account Number) and bank certificate of deposits along with their application.
There are 2 options for payment of fee.
- Demand Draft: If fee is paid by Demand Draft, IEC will be generated only after receipt of the physical copy of the application.
- Electronic Fund Transfer: If IEC application fee is paid through Electronic Fund Transfer facility, IEC number will be generated by the licensing office automatically and the number can be viewed online by the applicant.
Guidelines for filling up IEC Form
- All applications must be made in the prescribed form in duplicate, duly accompanied by Bank Receipt/ Demand Draft evidencing payment of fee.
- Application form should be submitted in neatly typed bold letters. Handwritten forms are also accepted.
- Each page of the document must have the signature of the authorised person with an ink pen.
- Supporting documents in duplicate, duly self attested as specified earlier in this chapter must be enclosed wherever applicable.
- Items of information relevant to applicant should only be filled in and remaining items may be marked 'Not Applicable'.
- Two copies of the passport size photograph of the applicant duly attested by the applicant's banker shall be submitted.
- Modifications of particulars of the applicant should also be furnished on this form by filling the relevant items.
Duplicate Copy of IEC No.
Duplicate copy of IEC Number is issued to those importer (or exporter) who has lost their original IEC number. Importers are required to submit an affidavit and a fee of Rs.200 to obtain a duplicate copy of IEC Number.
Surrender of IEC No.
Any importer who doesn’t want to continue his import business may surrender the IEC number to the issuing authority. On receipt of such intimation, the issuing authority shall immediately cancel the same and electronically transmit it to DGFT for onward transmission to the Customs and Regional Authorities.
Table of Contents